Subject: [Leica] About the Summilux 50mm
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Nov 1 11:27:05 2004

I had a Noctilux and I loved its optical performance. Simply stunning
wide open or stopped down. And the most flare proof piece of glass I
have ever used bar none However I constantly found myself having to
back up after positioning myself for the shot. After a year or two I
realized the problem was not going to go away and it was time to
replace the Noctilux regardless of how much I loved the results.

I replaced it with a Summilux Asph and have not had a single instance
of having to back up. Optically it is better than the Nocti (not that
it matters) but, unfortunately, not as flare proof. Better than the
Summicron by a long way but no match for the Nocti.

John Collier

PS: If you don't like 0.7m shots with a 50, I would hate to show you my
24 work :-)