Subject: LIGHT (was: Re: [Leica] WAS: LEICA SEMINAR! 2004. NOW: PHOTOGRAHIC DISCUSSION. ?)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Nov 1 10:37:19 2004

Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> wrote:

> we might discuss the most important element of successful photography,
> light!

I'm game!  Here are a few examples to start things off.  I'll take a thin
overcast over direct sunlight any day but whatever the light is I want to
make the most of it:

thin overcast:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/raptors/buow01.jpg
The overcast acts as a huge white light source giving gentle shadow
transitions no hot spots and rich warm colors.  A blue sky fills the shadows
and leafy reflections with blue.

direct sunlight:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/raptors/haha00.jpg
Not my favorite light 'cuz shadows are so dark.  I avoid putting much shadow
area in the photo when I've got direct sunlight to work with.

backlight (2 examples)
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/hummingbirds/hbird.jpg
With transluscent stuff you can make colors light up.  Use a flare-proff
lens or keep the front of the lens shaded.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/cbth00.jpg
backlight with opaque subject gives you rim light; best if you can keep your
background and lens in the shade.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com