Subject: [Leica] Kudos: Airport Film/Camera Inspection Crews
From: gcr910 at msn.com (Gregory Rubenstein)
Date: Mon Nov 1 15:25:58 2004

Maybe I'm lucky, but I must compliment the airport screeners I've seen
villified here and in other places.

Just completed a journey that involved multiple passes through O'Hare
(Chicago), Tokyo (Narita), Shanghai (Pu Dong & the old, internal airport)
and Xi'an. Had one camera around my neck at every airport and -- coming and
going -- I was offered hand inspections without asking. And, yes, some of
these checkpoints were busy. Very busy.

On one pass through Tokyo, where changing terminals required an additional
inspection, even the in-between security folks offered to hand inspect my
film (which I'd packed in shielded containers, just in case) before I could
ask. At a different checkpoint on this trek, a screener told me his father's
prized possession was a Leica camera; he handled the gear in my bag more
gently than I do.

Like I said at the start, maybe I'm lucky. But the truth is since my travel
increased substantially this year security folks have been cooperative and
nice on the rare occasions I've had to ask for hand inspections. Some have
been curious about the cameras (Ms & lenses), moving a bit more slowly when
traffic was light and they had time to look. Had a film use discussion with
a screener in Tulsa, Oklahoma, when I was returning home with some
high-speed stuff (Neopan 1600) I'd not had processed there, and a digital
chat at another airport on a different trip.

Have tried to think what I'm doing differently than folks whose tribulations
I've read about. Can't come up with anything. Unless maybe the Ms simply
arouse some curiosity. When security people see me with a camera they
usually offer the hand inspection. I mind my manners, say thank you and make
sure they know I apppreciate their time, courtesy and personal service.

Happy, safe travels.

Greg Rubenstein

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Kudos: Airport Film/Camera Inspection Crews)