Subject: [Leica] Tomorrow
From: phongdoan at mindspring.com (Phong)
Date: Mon Nov 1 18:49:57 2004

George Anderson posted:
http://www.local6.com/news/3878057/detail.html

"But sheriff's office spokesman Paul Miller ... said Henry
'tripped over his own feet' as he ran away."

Love it !

In 1972, I had a taste of democracy when I
spent the summer campaigning in the Mekong
delta for a cousin who ran for a seat in the
South Vietnamese parliament.   An uncle
who was a military doctor also ran in a nearby
province.   It was a rural setting not unlike what
you see in Tina's photos from Central and South
America.    Both of my relatives ran on an opposition
platform, and lost, as most opposition candidates did.
Of course the elections were rigged by the government,
but what could we do but try to play by the rules as best
as we could.  There were also a lot of intimidation by
the Viet Cong who did not want to see the South Vietnamese
government legitimized by an election.

That was a lifetime ago  (I was 15).  Said
uncle is now a doctor in a V.A. hospital down in Louisiana.
I very much understand and respect the courage of the
people in Afghanistan and  in Iraq who risk (or soon will risk)
their lives to cast their ballot, despite the futility of living under
a puppet regime, despite the war and violence.

- Phong