Subject: [Leica] MP Viewfinder still flare
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Sun Nov 7 21:09:21 2004

Dick,

Whatever the answer might be, I'm sure it isn't simple. My M7 is a warranty
replacement because my first camera had a DX coding defect. It flares very
little but does not have the MP mod. Serial # is 285xxxx. It may or may not
have been reworked. My M5 flares less of course, but to avoid flare, it is
important to keep your eye centered in the eye-piece. (As a long-time Leica
user, you probably know this.) All M7's have the coated windows. The MP mod
is not an MP rangefinder assembly. Not all the parts fit. I forget which.
My M7 doesn't flare badly enough for me to get the upgrade. Allegedly, M7's
after 2885xxx have the MP mod.

I also have an MP .58 which is a Leica "Demo". I know all .58's have less
tendency to flare anyway, but this example has a very bright viewfinder and
has never flared period. Maybe a good M3 is better, but I never owned one,
since my 35/f2 has always been my "normal" lens. Of course, I keep my eye
centered by habit.

Still surprised that Luis has an MP which flares much, unless his eye
position is not ideal. Even my M5 can flare if I do not keep my eye
centered properly.

William

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] MP Viewfinder still flare)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] MP Viewfinder still flare)