Subject: [Leica] PAW 27/28: Leica M3 + Hexar RF
From: tgif at mbi.nifty.com (Tom Kumagai)
Date: Mon Nov 8 07:12:56 2004

Nakamura-san konbanwa,

When I went to Inokashira park last time, Sakura trees still had
beautiful flowers, and I was shooting Sakura blossoms with Pentax 6x7
handheld with my Metz 32Z flash at night(I was experimenting how cherry
flowers would look in B&W and needed more light control and resolution
of Med format at once). It was such a crazy night, group of college kids
were drinking and singing and playing games, etc. (Americans, think of
it as a Japanese version of "Spring Break" fiestas). I liked your photo
and maybe I will try to visit there one of these days o get the whole
picture of how it usally looks like.

I enjoy food in Tokyo, most of the case they are really good, except for
those Tonkotsu ramen shops like your photo is showing. (Your photo is
great, by the way) They do not seem to understand what kind of noodles
they need for this particular thick and rich soup - if they like to call
it "Tonkotsu," it's gotta be with strong and thin kyusyu style noodles,
and boiled just short period of time - which Kyusyu people call "Bari-
kata"(Fukuoka dialect for "extremely hard") or "Harigane"("metal wire").

The atomosphere and warm feeling of that old store reminds me of my
childhood and my home town. There was a small store like that in my
neighborhood when I was 2 or 3, and I remember carrying a huge basket
and some changes to the store to get some vegetables (I remember asking
my mother so bad to let me go shopping alone). I moved from country side
(Miyazaki, Japan) two years ago and Tokyo still amazes me. That was back
in time when every neighborhood knew each other.

Thank you for the great photos and great articles,

Tom Kumagai