Subject: [Leica] Re:OT:How many languages do you speak?
From: fmaturana at euskalnet.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Tue Nov 9 11:49:58 2004

>Felix,
>
>I recall reading somewhere recently that Euskara is the only
>non-Indo-European language spoken in Europe.  Is that correct?
>
>Ken

Ken

Our language and our people are among the oldest in Europe. Certainly is not
an Indo-European language and has a lot of common roots with Japanese.
During the time of dictator Franco was practically forbidden -so my parents
knew it and my daughter too but I wasn't learnt at the college nor at home.
Nowadays is not only the official language -with the Spanish- but every
child is speaking it at the school. Unfortunately forty years of
dictatorship have made only 20/30 per cent of basque people speaking  this
strange and original language whose origins  are lost in the old times.
Thanks for your interest.

Felix