Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 28, Issue 259
From: fmaturana at euskalnet.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Tue Nov 9 11:36:44 2004

> Of course digital saves money - if you buy film.

>Not nessesarily.  For those of us who have to buy our own cameras the net
>cost of the hardware is a much greater with digital vs. equivalent quality
>film cameras.  NOTE EQUIVALENT QUALITY, NOT D70 vs. M7

Is it Doug? Let's see... The fair comparison would be a Canon 20D with a
Leica/Canon  lens adaptor against a Leica R9. In BH Photo this is US dollars
1.499 for the Canon body and US dollars 2.395. We can make another
comparison aprox US dollars 7.000 for Leica R9 plus digital back against -US
dollars 214,95 for Canon rebel film. Things are not simple. Well Leica is
always too expensive confident in his custommers loyalty and his sure
quality.

What if you add the daily costs. Printing it's the same for film than for
digital. You avoid the costs of film but get cost of mass storage and need
computer on the one side and, very often, the scanner for the film. For sure
the cost, excluding cameras pay back, is bigger with film as film, mainly in
pro use, is more expensive that digital accesories. I have not made a deep
analisys of the involved cost, because from retirement I became more lazy,
but just in case I'm ready for preparing one. I can advance my thoughts, all
things equivalent, digital cost for a pro or advanced amateur, would be
smaller.

At the top? Many time ago that I do not believe in myths, isn't Leica one?,
but in real life. In the images that I got from my cameras in "big" prints
many of them hung in my house walls.My last technical, economical and
photographic decision was between a Leica R back for adding to my excellent
R8 -enlarging my not so big R lenses park- or getting a new EOS 1Ds mk
II -with my much bigger Canon L lenses park from 14 to 400mm- No sentiments
only my brain and the order for the EOS is given.

I strongly believe in digital though, as some of you have already seen, I
still shoot film and with Leica cameras.

Regards

Felix

PS I am glad to know that some guys -for sure due to their skill and
photographic capabilities and useful and clever feedback- have not to buy
their cameras. Congratulations to them!