Subject: [Leica] Re: OT:How many languages do you speak?
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed Nov 10 02:43:45 2004

Daniel Ridings wrote:
>>I recall reading somewhere recently that Euskara is the only
>>non-Indo-European language spoken in Europe.  Is that correct?
>

> Ken,
>
> I don't think Basque counts as an indoeuropean language. Finnish and
> Hungarian certainly aren't. I'm not sure of the status of Albanian. I
> suspect it is, but is in a separate family from most familiar ones.
>
> Then you have Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Somalian, Shona in
> the UK (Harare North), and a couple of dozen of others.
>
> Daniel

I speak English as a native, French, some Italian and some Russian.
Understand
bits of others with some effort. Despite my surname I speak very little
Polish.

On the subject of languages I was surprised to find that according to the
Mayor
of London's Office there are now over 300 languages spoken in the capital
which
apparently makes it the most linguistically diverse city anywhere.

It is said that if you come to London from (almost) anywhere there is
someone
who speaks your language - probably exaggerated but an interesting statement
nonetheless.

Peter Dzwig

Is this on-topic? Oh silly question!

Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Re: OT:How many languages do you speak?)