Subject: [Leica] More signs of the Digital Age
From: norman.c.aubin at boeing.com (Aubin, Norman C)
Date: Wed Nov 10 09:26:18 2004

Frank, Tarek, et.al.

If I can interject, regarding PPI for printing, it is my understanding that
the
native printing resolution for the Epson printer family is 360 Dots per
inch,
and for the canon, HP and others it is 300 DPI.  I believe this can be
checked
in the owners manual.

What this means is that if your Photoshop image is sized to some dimension,
say 8x10, but the resolution is 450 DPI, the Epson software will do a data
interpolation to add or remove dots, as it deems appropriate.  Certain
factors
or multiples seem to be okay, ie. 240 DPI, 180, etc, and 200, 300, or the
other
guys printers.  Do you want Epson software manipulating your images?  I'd
prefer to do it in PS and call it done.

What I do as general practice is scan at highest resolution, do all work in
16 bit flow, then resize as 11x14 at 360 DPI, or 8x10 at 360 DPI, etc., and
save
these files as ready for print files: multiple presized and preset files so
that
I can print on demand the appropriate number and size prints from an
already prepared image.

The printer set up page is set to 1440 DPI for the finest printing it can
do,
but I think if you take any standard print you really like, and then print it
at 180, 240, 360, 480, etc. you'll see for yourself that the 360 file size
(for Epson)
is as good as it gets.

By the way, this also implies that using Unsharp mask at radius 1.8 or less
(DPI/200) keeps the edge effects below the perception threshold for viewing.
Usually 1 % of the granularity falls below the perception level, using 1/2 %
guarantees it.

Hope this helps.
Norm

Replies: Reply from tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara) ([Leica] More signs of the Digital Age)