Subject: [Leica] DMR: Hands on
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Nov 12 15:14:53 2004

On 11/12/04 10:33 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> typed:

> Well it seemed to me that the fact that the completely different amount
> of vignetting by the CV and Leica 21mm lenses suggested that the
> vignetting  was due to the lens geometry as much as the focal length.
> If this is the case then the supplied correction software will correct
> for the lens it is meant to, but not necessarily any other of the same
> focal length but different exit pupil position, for example. That means
> if I bought one I could correct for errors due to a Voigtlander 21mm,
> which I don't own, but not a Leica 21mm which I do own.
> I had intended to buy one but now I have cold feet! I guess it is fine
> if all your lenses are the CV ones.
> The other concern i have with correction of this type is that I can
> only see how it can take place at the expense of dynamic range.
> Frank

I would go into Leica digital shooting with the Epson/Cosina just like I did
going into Leica M film shooting.
That both the advantages of the camera itself (rangefinder, etc) and optics
would make for a superior shooting system for me.
Giving me and edge over the image capturer next door.
That assumption bore itself out.
I'm assuming this would also happen now that I'm at the digital step.
That not only am I going to have the advantages of second to none optics but
also a superior image gathering system. I.e. camera.
I think this will be the case with the Epson/Cosina.
That It will be a better image maker optics aside and even rangefinder aside
than my Nikon D100.

But I am now and will always be basically a rangefinder shooter.
35mm SLR is just gravy for me.
The Epson better work. I think it will.
If not then the Leica when it comes out when I am in the rest home door.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/