Subject: [Leica] Re: leica CL dissent
From: buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner)
Date: Fri Nov 12 15:47:44 2004

Actually, I know several people whose CLs suffered the problems and
damage I cited.  I admit that I am less than compulsive about handling
my equipment and it is my faulty and it was my friend Charlie's fault
that we banged up the poorly situated shutter speed dial, but it did and
can happen and it will be expensive to repair.  Caveat emptor.  It may
be only a certain run of Leica CLs which used the unfortunately brittle
adhesive to attach the meter cell to the stalk, but I know of three
instances of the cell coming off and two in which it jammed the shutter.
Maybe its camera abuse, maybe its bad luck, maybe its an endemic problem
you simply haven't encountered.  Caveat emptor.  Funny, though, I never
had any problems with the nylon flanges on the take up spool, Caveat
emptor!

        Buzz Hausner

The mechanical problems buzz cited are possible, but unlikely. I've
owned my
CL since 1975 and never had one of those things happen -- the shutter
speed
dial would be expensive to fix if it broke, but it has never broken and
won't
unless you slam your equipment around a lot.   Ditto the meter stalk. If
you are
normally careful with your equipment, you have no worries. If you are
one of
those people who takes pride in having equipment that is dinged and
dented --
such people do exist -- then you shouldnot buy a CL. Or a Leica newer M,
for
that matter. Buy a nicely beat-up Nikon F or an M3. They can take that
sort of
thing.

Only thing that did break on my CL was the nylon flanges on the take up
spool, had to be replaced in a regular service.

c trentelman