Subject: [Leica] Japan's JN-25 naval code
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small <)
Date: Fri Nov 12 16:48:07 2004

At 11:46 AM 11/12/04 EST, Thinkofcole@aol.com wrote:
>Marc, while William Friedman's contributions to deciphering enemy  codes
>are
>enormous, the Japanese naval code JN-25 was broken by a secret U.S.  Navy
team
>working at Pearl Harbor before WWII and afterward under a  Commodore John
>Rochefort. -- bob cole

Bob

Froedman's efforts were for the decryption of the Japanese diplomatic
(PURPLE) code.  To my knowledge, he never worked on JN-25.

JN-25 began to be broken in the middle of 1942.  There had been only the
scantiest of results prior to the Japanese assail on Pearl Harbor.  I have
only the highest regard for Rochefort but, if he claims differently, he is
wrong.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!