Subject: [Leica] First 35/2 Summicron shots
From: ndandar at hotmail.com (Nathan Dandar)
Date: Fri Nov 12 18:35:22 2004

I had recently purchased a used Bessa R2 and CV 50mm f/1.5 Nokton kit used.
I ran a few rolls through it and was severely disappointed.  My old Canonet
with a partially-working meter turned out much nicer photos.  I decided to
give the body one more chance and picked up a Leica 35mm f/2 Summicron
pre-ASPH used.  I ran a single roll of Ilford FP4+ through it today and
processed it in my home 'darkroom' this afternoon.  I was nervous while
waiting for the strip to dry but was very relieved once I looked at the
photos with a loupe and later scanned them in.  They're easily the sharpest
35mm-format negatives I've ever shot!  Everything about the lens seems
lovely.. contrast, bokeh, etc.  I've always held my Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8
AIS lens in the highest regard and have been very impressed to see the
little Leica rise to the challenge.

Sadly, because of my horrible luck with previous rolls in this camera, I
didn't bother 'wasting' my time shooting anything worthwhile or even
bothering with proper composition.  I simply wanted to get through the roll
as fast as possible and see if previous bad photos were the result of the
lens or something with the body.. so I don't really have any decent shots
from the roll.  Just some simple test photos with no photographic value
(with some odd choices for focus points).

http://www.pbase.com/image/36267122/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/36267120/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/36267125/original.jpg

Anyway, I've been very happy with this first adventure with Leica equipment.

Replies: Reply from hans.pahlen at telia.com (Hans Pahlen) ([Leica] First 35/2 Summicron shots)
Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] First 35/2 Summicron shots)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] First 35/2 Summicron shots)