Subject: [Leica] who can adjust LTM lens?
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Sun Nov 14 02:01:44 2004

Rei wrote:

>i have a 50 summarit 1.5 which focuses almost 1 foot close at 5 feet
>using the rangefinder on a IIIf.  the camera focuses very
>accurately with a 50 summitar 2.0
>and the big 85 summarex 1.5, so i am pretty sure the camera's
>rangefinder is accurate.  i think it is the focus cam on the summarit.

It probably is the cam, especially if you're having no problems with
the Summarex (see my home pages at:

http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/

for the story of mine.)

Interestingly, when I had my Summarex refurbished by Malcolm Taylor,
he also took the opportunity to 'fine-tune' the rangefinders on the
IIIf and III bodies I'd also left with him. This  involved very
precise measurements of the actual film plane in both camera bodies.
He also told me that my particular Summarex  has a true focal length
of 83.7mm - this apparently being within Leitz tolerances.

I'm shortly getting back the 50/1.5 Summarit, which is now 'as new'
He has recoated (single) several elements, removed oil from the
diaphragm blades, and adjusted everything else. I'm looking forward
to seeing the difference.

>i know lots of good leica repair people can take huge lead times
>working with LTM equipment, i hope adjusting the lens is faster
>than working on the body.

See my comments on r/f adjustment. Malcolm is not normally very
quick, but he's extremely thorough. The fast Summarex turnround was a
special favour as I delivered it personally and picked it up on my
way back to Ireland. OTOH, I didn't expect to see the Summarit this
side of Xmas, so I was pleasantly surprised when he told me it was
ready.

I'm sure John van Stelten does an equally good job in the US, judging
from LUGgers' experience. But get your lenses overhauled while you
can - specialiists like these are few and far between, and there's no
new generation coming along.

Best

Alex
--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019

Replies: Reply from joelct at singnet.com.sg (Joseph Low) ([Leica] who can adjust LTM lens?)