Subject: [Leica] War Photos
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Nov 15 20:20:12 2004

Richard asked :
> For those of us too young to live through WWII, Korean War, or even the
> Vietnam War, what do y''all think of this photo?
> > http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/11/15/marine.photo.ap/index.html
>
> To me, it has a little bit of gritty intense feel of DDD's photos?<<<<<<,,

Richard,
It's interesting, but he might as well be made up for TV. I realize he
isn't. However.

The kind of picture you're talking about is a must for B&W, the gritty stuff
from WW2, Korea, 'Nam and any other war stuff, the power of the photograph
is in B&W.  Why?

Because it falls into:

"When you photograph people in colour, you photograph their clothes.

When you photograph people in B&W you photograph their souls!"

And that's what sorts this "colour make-up photograph" out from the real
gritty war pictures of the past.

Yes of course there's been pretty powerful colour war images, Larry Burrows
stuff from 'Nam come to mind.

But this has the appearance of a Marine portrait in colour!

No offence intended.
ted

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] War Photos)
Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] War Photos)