Subject: [Leica] PAW, catching up....mine and others.. and miscellany.
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Tue Nov 16 17:20:56 2004

As someone has been saying on one of these lists, "it's that time of
year..."  So, playing catch up tonight:

Here's the latest...church at night, shot with film I had in the camera
at the time, seen as I was turning into the parking lot

http://homepage.mac.com/kennybod/PhotoAlbum8.html

The floodlighting, color of the building, and the film didn't agree, but
I kinda like the results.  I'm going to go back with different film and
try it again.  And with a 35 instead of a 50.

Question for the list:  In picking a film that will reproduce the color
with greater accuracy, I'll need to know the type of floodlight bulbs
used.  Correct?  Any tips or pointers would be gratefully received.

Steve:  Your shot of your granddaughter is gorgeous!  If you don't mind
a tech question from someone who's learning how to use a Leica:  What
film did you use for that shot, and how did you meter for it?

Adam:  I really like the stitched panorama and the Monument Valley shot.

BD's "self-portrait."  Let me see if I get this right:  You were lying
on your stomach, the camera was on your head pointing at the woman, and
you "guessed" at it?  Great shot!

On War Photos:  I agree that B&W has, at least for me and many of my
generation, a greater emotional impact than color.  For me, it is
analogous to the erotic impact of the "veiled" nude or partially clothed
nude, as opposed to the "show me the pink" total nude.  B&W draws me
into the photo, and the life represented in the image, because it
exercises my imagination.  A "veiled" nude causes me to exercise my
imagination.  It is the allure of that which is not completely revealed.
So, Ted's remark about "soul and clothes" is, I think, right on the
mark.  In B&W we are led to see the "soul," that which is both revealed
AND hidden.  In color, we are not led to see anything because it is all
revealed.  My two cents...

Peace to you all as this time of the year cranks up...

Ken Frazier
Weston, Ct  USA