Subject: [Leica] RE ASPHERICAL LENSES 35 vs 35 asph
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Thu Nov 18 06:20:48 2004

!!!!!

Weren't Leica the first to use aspherical elements in a production
lens? (50/1.2 Noctilux). They developed press moulding to reduce the
production costs of quality aspherical elements (not cheap
plastic/glass hybrid stuff). Hardly behind the game in my opinion.

Advertising purposes???!!!

Have you ever used the Leica lenses with aspherical elements? There is
one heck of a difference between the 21, 35, 50 and 90 aspherical
lenses and their non-aspherical counter parts. The asphericals are
amazingly crisp and clear wide open. I think the use of the suffix
"-ASPH" is pretty restrained. IMO they should have the suffix "-
F***ING AMAZING DUDE".

Leica deserves a good deal of criticism for its pedestrian pace of M
body development (ie: M7's one shot AE lock!). However the current M
lens line is simply the best in the world bar none.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com) ([Leica] RE ASPHERICAL LENSES 35 vs 35 asph)
Reply from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small <) ([Leica] RE ASPHERICAL LENSES 35 vs 35 asph)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] RE ASPHERICAL LENSES 35 vs 35 asph)