Subject: [Leica] 35mm normal vs. ASPH or aspherical lens
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Nov 19 14:53:35 2004

On 11/19/04 11:11 AM, "P2CON@aol.com" <P2CON@aol.com> typed:

> Mark, I'm not sure you are the proper person to be criticising the bokeh
> boys.  I just spent a nice 20 minutes surveying your web site, and it is
> pretty
> obvious why bokeh means nothing to you.  You are shooting fashion or
> comercial
> work with little in the way of background.  The background is either
> non-existant or pretty much "in-focus", (f8 type stuff) even in your
> outdoor
> shots.
> Shoot something at f1.4 or f2 or even f2.8 with a close, busy background
> and
> then
> lets discuss the effect of bokeh on the overall photograph.
>

>snippet<
> Regards,  Paul Connet

Unfortunately I've been having trouble working my current stuff which is
much more Leica and much more wide open into my website.
I'm hoping the "make website" button on my Photoshop CS relives this
entirely in the very near future and I can keep the list abreast of my
latest exploits.

If I wasn't me I'd have myself filtered out a long time ago as my patience
can run thin for the "uploading challenged". I've got a bad case of "not
putting my money with my mouth is itis".

I've been doing a lot of work with my new 40 Summicron in the past few weeks
I've found interesting and want the LUG to see the stuff which I've
mentioned. So that will happen very soon maybe this weekend.

When the Bokeh thing first came out I'll admit to being perplexed because I
was not aware of photographers dealing very much at all with wide open
images. I thought we all stopped down the most we could. This is because my
background in photojournalism is limited and I don't know very many of those
people. Nor apparently was I looking very hard at the stuff. But all I had
to do is open a newspaper or magazine and I could see nothing but wide open
shooting all over the place. They only way we knew where they were was by
reading the caption. They could have been anywhere.

Naturally when I got a Noctilux I was going to try it with that lens.
Then with the 90 APO ASPH and I was shooting f2 and be there for all kinds
of stuff. I got used to the idea. If I had an M7 it would just be set there,
at f2. I wish the M7 had a 1000th speed priority which is in effect Noctilux
shooting as f1 and be there does not work out as there is usually too much
light. You just stop down as less as possible. It's always the opposite of
what you think.
Yes you can shoot fashion like that, we've all seen it - the location stuff
(outside) especially. Not just stopped down a couple but open all the way.
I'm looking forward to using my Noctilux digitally as it becomes a 75mm lens
which is a focal length I can make money with. I do most of my work of
people whether it be fashion or portrait or anything involving people with a
short tele. 75 is not too short.
74 though....

Mark Rabiner
Photography