Subject: [Leica] Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Sat Nov 20 01:25:12 2004

The last time I used a real darkroom was when I was in HS doing B&W
literally in the apartment's bathroom. I was really happy that a few years
ago I got a scanner, inkjet printer and photoshop, and after a couple years
of fighting with color management, I am getting decent prints from the
system. All these times, setting up a wet darkroom isn't even under
consideration because there just isn't enough space in the garage. Last
year I got the Jobo CPE-2 and now I am shooting 99% slides, and I scan the
slides in with the rest of the workflow pretty much the same as if I start
with digital capture

Anyway, our water heater died a few weeks ago, and we replaced it with a
tankless on demand system. Meaning that all of a sudden there are some
space in the garage!! If nothing else, now I can have the Jobo on its own
table and not share it with the tools workbench.

However, I am wondering if I should move another step and get a wet
darkroom setup. I can't imagine doing colors would be much fun, but how
about B&W? I tried 2 rolls of TMax last year and got some chemicals to
develop the film with the Jobo. However, I think to get them to scan in as
simple and as easy as the slides would take a lot more disciplines on my
part. With the LS-4000, I just turn on ICE and the dust would not show up
on the slide scans. B&W doesn't have the extra layer so I cannot use ICE.

How many people are still printing their B&W using a wet darkroom? I
understand the look of wet printed B&W is very different from the inkjet
printed B&W, so any particular strong reasons to do wet prints any more?
The used enlarger must be fairly cheap now? Don't Leica make some B&W
enlarger too? I know I will have to remove dust and all that by hand. I am
thinking that I can develop the film by hand as the Jobo probably isn't
helping much there but using the Jobo to develop the prints. Anyone has
experience with that?

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from wharting at verizon.net (bill harting) ([Leica] Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?)
Reply from daniel.rocha at free.fr (Daniel ROCHA) ([Leica] Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?)