Subject: [Leica] Re: Digilux 2 - wait for 8mp???
From: DBaker9128 at aol.com (DBaker9128@aol.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 11:47:13 2004

Hi Derek

I've had 11x14 inch prints made at the local Costco digital kiosk with my
D2.
I imagine the DPI is below 200 at this magnification but the sharpness and
detail (ISO 100 setting) is absolutely stunning. Compared to my R8 (35-70
F/4
handheld) with a quality 100 ISO print film (I use Fuji Reala) the D2 prints
have slightly less grain and comparable sharpness. The print image appears a
bit
more brittle (like slide film) and not able to hold details as far into the
highlights and shadows as with 100 ISO print film. The D2 bokeh, what there
is
of it, is smooth and creamy but I can tell it is a digital image, not film.
haven't quite put my finger on what this difference is but it is similar to
how
medium format prints seem to have a smoother tonality compared to 35mm
prints, only more of this.

I use the highest quality JPEG setting, keep the contrast and unsharp mask
at
the regular midpoint settings and stay at 100 ISO if at all possible. FWIW,
staffer at the local Costco rates my D2 11x14 inch prints as in the top tier
of technical quality and says the Leica JPEG file settings work very well
with
his Noritsu machine.

Should you wait for a 8mp version of the D2? Well, if this happens I doubt I
would upgrade, given what the D2 11x14 prints are showing me. Since the chip
size would need to stay the same to keep the camera dimensions similar, 8
million pixels crammed in where 5 million pixels now rest means smaller
pixels.
Unless tamed by future technology improvements, this could create the
infamous
5mp to 8mp trade off of chromatic aberration problems (like exhibited in the
8mp
Sony 828) and more noise (digital grain) at all print sizes in exchange for
slight bump in resolution, which I would rarely use or see. The one D3
improvement that would prompt me to consider upgrading would be if the EVF
was
substantially higher in pixels or went direct optical somehow. The EVF is
the only
aspect of the D2 that doesn't wow me.

Regards
Doug from Tumwater