Subject: [Leica] Next e-mail: help
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sat Nov 20 18:54:17 2004

If you read the last one, you will know that after a month in Nepal and
a full week in the darkroom, I failed to finish off the printing.
Clearly I need to look at my "system". At the moment, I'm thinking that
I will finally give up too much colour printing and in future do purely
b/w in the darkroom. So ifff I am to go digital, do I need to change
camera systems, or not.

Those who know me know I have too many cameras: many of us do. I am
loath to bring another system into my already crowded life, so if I am
to go for a digital camera, I would have to "trade-in" beloved
mechanical beasts and a whole bevy of lenes, something I would prefer
not to do. If I stick to b/w darkroom work, I could "survive" with the
M, my Rollei, perhaps keep the Blad and X-pan, and do away with the R
(unless the back is really worth it), the Rollei 3003 and a  range of
Minoltas etc. I could then concentrate on colour with a "new" digital
system and stick to b/w film BUT -----

Can I still afford to use film?

This question rests with the ability of "scanners". Will a scanned
negative file match one from a dedicated digital camera pixel for
pixel? Is there a scanner which can do the scanning without me having
to sit for hours, ie a feeder? Please help. I have a week to go before
coming to the USA and visiting Chicago: the subject of the next e-mail
and I could be tempted to do something on that trip.

Cheers and TIA

Alastair

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Next e-mail: help)
Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?)