Subject: [Leica] Yes, Set Up A Darkroom
From: norman.c.aubin at boeing.com (Aubin, Norman C)
Date: Sat Nov 20 20:36:33 2004

Marc, et al.

I have to disagree with your statements that not doing wet darkroom work
means you're not a
photographer.  No more would I suggest to someone who didn't coat their own
wet plates,
nor coated their own papers that they are not photographer.  Many notable
photographers
hired other folks to do their printing for them.

I've spent 25 plus years in my own darkroom, and would gladly hand it over
to a lab rat to do
for me if I could, it gets tedious dealing with the process after a point.

Digital printing is a viable alternative for many of us, and having done
both for some time now I
have to say that there are many advantages to digital that can't be ignored,
time being one of
them.  As I get older I have less time to waste, and digital lets me go
faster, a plus in my book,
while still achieving the level of technical excellence I desire.

I'm currently learning Platinum printing, a beautiful technique for
rendering images.  I love
the fact that I can scan a Leica captured slide, edit it in Photoshop and
print a digital negative
that contact prints beautifully in Platinum.  I sure don't want to trade my
Leica for a 11x14
camera!

Digital has it's place, and it shouldn't be scoffed at.  It will eventually
replace film for many
photographers.  Digital output of scanned Leica negatives is a nice hybrid,
allowing the best of
those two worlds.

Some folks like B&W, some like chromes, some like warm tone papers, some
like cool tone.

The "whole take that hill", "look at my scar's", "you ain't real if you
haven't done what I've done"
mentality ignores the content of the image in favor of the mechanism of
making it, rather
Hemingway in philosophy . . .  but look where he ended up . . .

Norm