Subject: [Leica] Best 400 iso Film for Contrast?
From: marvbej at earthlink.net (Robert Marvin)
Date: Mon Nov 22 11:35:13 2004

What's so important about contrast in negatives? For the last year or
two I've been using split D23 (were the first bath is straight D23 and
the second is a 20 percent borax solution). This gives me lots of
shadow detail without blown highlights BUT my standard Ilford
Multigrade filter, with a condenser enlarger,  is # 3-1/2 instead of #
2 using HP5 and FP4--SO WHAT? I'm happy with my prints. I've tried
Rodinal 1:50 recently with FP4. The negatives print with a # 2 filter,
but I still slightly prefer the look of the split D23.

Bob Marvin

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Best 400 ISO Film for Contrast?)