Subject: Fwd: Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Nov 22 13:14:30 2004

>Me if someone told me they had two 13x19 prints of the same thing taken at
>the same time.
>One with film with a Leica M6.
>Another with an Epson R1D1.
>I'd travel for hours in my car to where ever it was to see it.
>

>Mark Rabiner

Mark -

I have hundreds of photos that I made in Honduras and Guatemala this
summer.  About 1/3 are Leica M's and R's with film and about 2/3 are Canon
10D with Canon and Leica R lenses.  I've printed quite a few of each at
13x19.  I just sold two 13x19's, one from film and one digital, that will
be hanging side by side.  The buyer had no idea that one was digital and
one film.  In this particular case, I prefer the digital.  A lot of the
time I was exposing both under exactly the same conditions, but in the case
of these two, the film exposure was made in very low light (I couldn't have
used the Canon 10D at 100iso).  The digital exposure was made outside with
plenty of light at 100iso.

Of the photos that were made under identical conditions, I have to look at
the prints with a loupe or look at the file name to know whether the print
is from digital or film.  The film prints have grain at 100%, the digital
prints don't.  The digital prints don't have noise either because I never
shot over 100iso.  The scanned film is second generation.  The digital
files are first generation.

Based on the prints I have made, I will be using digital anytime I can use
100 or 200 iso.  For 400iso and over, I'll stick to film.

Travel hours in your car and come and see me and I'll show you the prints
;-)   but you may have wait until mid-January.  I'll be traveling a lot
until then.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com