Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Nov 22 14:34:44 2004

B. D. Colen said:
> Much as it pains me, Ted, I have to disagree on this one. If we were
> talking about silver prints v. quadtone inkjet prints, then, yes, the
> beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But the question of whether a file
> from a 10mgp digital camera can equal the same image, exposed the same
> way, shot the same way, on film, can be measured objectively in terms of
> dynamic range, "Micro detail," contrast, etc. etc. <<<,

B.D.,
What I'm trying to get at here and given it's me I'll probably get this
wrong one more time. ;-)

As much as I try to get by all the digital number stuff and just put it down
to looking at a print and whether one likes it or not, I'm obviously still
not making the right comparison.

I do understand the higher the megpixel sensor the better the print, colour
or B&W should be? That's a reasonable and understanding thing. But I've seen
prints from the Canon 20D with a higher pixel count and sensor size and they
are very fine looking prints which I don't have any problem hanging on the
wall in an exhibition if necessary.

And of course I have to add the 5mgp Digilux 2 still makes for a damn fine
print at 12X18 inches as well. Yep I suppose if you put the 10mgp sensor
print beside the Digilux one would see a major quality? difference? Maybe?

The point I was trying to make to Alistair was people are always comparing a
print from film and the same picture shot on a digital camera, then
comparing them side by each. And I feel this is like comparing apples and
oranges or hell bananas, because they are different mediums of production so
why would one want to make a comparison when you see them right beside each
other? Sure they're going to look different why wouldn't they. But does that
mean one is better because they "look different?"

However, take a look at the film print in one building, then go to another
building and look at the digital print. Then tell me they wont look great as
one looks at each on there own.

What seems to be the biggest problem with doing anything digital is the
constant back and forth about bigger is better, RAW is better, JPEG isn't,
sensor size, and it seems no one asks the simple question of.... "how do you
like this photograph and print?"

Besides, who are the shooters and what do they want from their digital
camera?  Super high end advertising pages, or family happy snaps 4X6 size?
The other evening I did a slide presentation on sports photography.

However, the subject of digital came up and it was interesting to see the
faces and hear the responses when I said......."Forget all the techie stuff
set your camera on auto everything and go have fun taking pictures!" :-)

Like, "keep it simple stupid!" :-)

And one guy said , "that's the best damn advice this photo club has had on
digital in 5 years as everyone else talks about pixel this, pixel size
sensors, noise and all that stuff none of us ever understood." So I smiled
and told them, "Don't feel you're alone, I don't understand it either and
just set my digital Leica 2 on auto and have the best good fun shooting
merrily along.  And I'm more than pleased with the enlargements." Everyone
clapped.

However, sitting in the crowd were a couple of techie types, easy to tell,
they just shook their heads at my advice along with making faces at my "KISS
advice. :-) Loved it!. ;-) Screw them! ;-)

So mon ami did I make myself any clearer? Not likely. ;-) But hell I am
having fun with the Digilux 2 and automatic everything. I can't believe I'm
shooting in this manner after all these years of doing everything Leica
manual! :-)

And it kind of looks like I'm not going to wait around for another half a
year or so for the R8 digi back. Even that maybe 2006? I mean considering I,
along with many others, waited three years for the R8 motor drive, and at
this stage of my life I don't have time to wait for Leica to get their act
together. So I'm going to get myself a Canon 20D and a few auto everything
lenses. ;-) And an adapter for my Leica glass to use with it ! So there you
go eh? ;-)

Hell, fire and damnation will come forth for admitting that! :-) :-) ;-) ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at direcway.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled)
Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled)