Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Nov 21 22:03:16 2004

Alastair Firkin asked:
>>> This brings me back to my nagging question; will today's good film
>>> scanners
> "match" a 10 mega pixel dedicated digital camera when you view moderately
> large images side by side? <<<<

Alastair,
You are going to beat your brains out on this comparison print thing simply
because a print from a scanned neg and inkjet printer or digital camera
print and print from the same negative is like comparing a modern day jet
fighter aircraft with a Spitfire!

They both are beautiful aircraft standing alone. However, put them side by
each and one looks more beautiful than the other in the eyes of the viewer.
However, different people will vote for one over the other and visa versa,
usually. But that doesn't mean one is better than the other simply because
this kind of film print and digital print is without question, comparing
apples and oranges! Period.

And because I like both apples and oranges I've given up bothering with
discussions that get all hung-up on which is better and which isn't, digital
or film simply because man the only thing that counts is............. does
it look great to you? And if the answer is, "Yep looks pretty damn good to
me!" Then that's your answer!

Other wise all the numbers become meaningless compared to what you actually
look at! Do you like it or do you not like it, that's all that counts!

Sure more mgp's is better under certain situations and under other they make
little difference.
ted

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled)
Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled)