Subject: [Leica] Digital Back - a fairy tale?
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Mon Nov 22 16:16:47 2004

I think there are those who work in software development and/or product
development on the LUG who understand this first-hand.

A product delay-of-launch is nothing unusual in a project that has a
high degree of software and firmware development.  And the horrible
irony of it is that when the software/firmware is ready, debugged and
verified, some of the key hardware components could have reached
obsolescence.  In fact, the image sensor may reach obsolescence within a
couple years of the development cycle.  So when Leica releases next
April, they might find that the sensor is no longer available, or the
specs have changed, and they have to redo their software.  It's an evil
cycle.

I have some sympathy for Leica on this one.  It is hard enough to hold
top spot in optical design and mechanical design, but to venture into
the snakepit of software development, they may learn some very tough
lessons.

Did the R8 undergo an initial delay-of-launch?  Anyone remember?

regards,
Vick