Subject: [Leica] Re:Nikon's profits tripled
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Nov 23 11:39:38 2004

I made the jump to a DSLR in late October. My decision was guided by the
viewfinder.  Frankly, the only two viewfinders I could stand (in the 5-6
mp $1,000 - $1,500 range) were the Olympus E-1 and Pentax *ist.  They were
also the only two that I found I could manually focus with relative ease.
In fairness, the C@n*n 20D was not out when I tried various brands, but
the 10D was, and I just plain didn't like it.

I eventually chose the E-1.  I like the operation, ergonomics, and build.
It will take my manual focus OM lenses with an adapter, if Olympus ever
gets around to sending it.  I suspect using a 50/1.4 at f/1.4 to 2.8 or 4
will be OK in available light.

I really would prefer a digital rangefinder.  The Epson is a bit too
"version 1.0" and too expensive for what it is.  Three grand for a Leica
digital RF, probably OK.  For a Bessa R2 with a sensor like a $1200 SLR,
no.  I reserve the right to change my mind if they get it together or have
a blowout sale.

So far my feelings on a DSLR vs. Leica are mixed.  A DSLR with normal zoom
is bigger and heavier than a Leica, and much more fiddly. There isn't the
same oneness with the camera that I feel with a Leica.  I always feel like
I am programming a computer to (hopefully) do what I would do under the
circumstances, with the burnt-out Highlights of Damocles hanging over my
head.

But when I get home and can download the pictures immediately--nice!

--Peter

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re:Nikon's profits tripled)
Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re:Nikon's profits tripled)