Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 28, Issue 330
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Nov 27 00:23:28 2004

The RD-1 sounds like a hero from Greek tragedy:  wonderful in every way,
except for a fatal flaw.

The RF problems are odd, though.  After all, the RF is, as far as we know,
a standard issue Bessa RF with a higher magnification.  The Bessas have
been out there for several years, and have been performing well.  They are
evidently easier to knock out of alignment than a Leica,  but that's easily
remedied.  Howard's having to choose between correct close focus and
infinity focus sounds ominously like the problem of Russian lenses on
Leicas.  Could this be a problem with some focus cams that were machined
with the wrong pitch?

Now, the new Bessa R3A also has a 1:1 viewfinder. This could give us a
clue.  If we start hearing about R3A cameras having the same focus problems
as the RD-1, then there may be a design or manufacturing flaw with the 1:1
viewfinder.  If it's only the RD-1 that has this issue, then maybe the RD-1
viewfinder has something different about it.  Or maybe, as Mark suggested,
somebody dropped a pallet off a truck somewhere.

All this is a pity.  Once the RD-1 samples got into the hands of people who
knew how to use a rangefinder, we've seen beautiful image quality.  Michael
Reichmann's review shows that if you get a good one, the RD-1 is a very
nice camera.  And that cathedral dome picture from a couple of days ago is
just plain wonderful.

I want a digital RF on which I can use my Leica and V/C lenses.  Someday
I'll get one.  It looks like I'll have to wait a little longer.  So for
digital capture, it's the E-1.

Meanwhile, I shot a roll of Tri-X in the M6 yesterday, so I'm still "in the
family."

--Peter