Subject: [Leica] Dodgy focus RD-1
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Nov 27 11:58:30 2004

I didn't put a subject on this last night, so it may not have gone
through.  Reposted with a couple of clarifications.
. . . . . . . . . . .

The RD-1 sounds like a hero from Greek tragedy:  wonderful in every way,
except for a fatal flaw.

The RF problems are odd, though.  After all, the RF is, as far as we know,
a standard issue Bessa RF with a higher magnification.  The Bessas have
been out there for several years, and have been performing well.  They are
evidently easier to knock out of alignment than a Leica,  but that's easily
remedied.

Howard mentions having to choose between correct close focus and correct
infinity focus. That sounds ominously like the problem of fast Russian
lenses on Leicas.  Could it be that some RD-1 focus cams that were machined
with the wrong pitch?

Now, the new Bessa R3A also has a 1:1 viewfinder. This could give us a
clue.  If we start hearing about R3A cameras having the same focus problems
as the RD-1, then there may be a design or manufacturing flaw with the 1:1
viewfinder.  If it's only the RD-1 that has this issue, then maybe the RD-1
viewfinder has something different about it.  Or there is a bad group of
some RF part that went to Epson.  Or maybe, as Mark suggested, somebody
dropped a pallet off a truck somewhere.

All this is a pity.  Once the RD-1 samples got into the hands of people who
knew how to use a rangefinder, we've seen beautiful image quality.  Michael
Reichmann's review shows that if you get a good one, the RD-1 is a very
nice camera.  And that cathedral dome picture from a couple of days ago is
just plain wonderful.

I want a digital RF on which I can use my Leica and V/C lenses.  Someday
I'll get one.  It looks like I'll have to wait a little longer.  So for
digital capture, it's the E-1.

Meanwhile, I shot a roll of Tri-X in the M6 yesterday, so I'm still "in the
family."

--Peter

Replies: Reply from bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C) ([Leica] Dodgy focus RD-1)