Subject: [Leica] Digital Module R
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Nov 28 22:13:45 2004

Ken Lassiter asked:
> I have not yet been able to find and handle a 20D.  So I have some
> questions:
>
> Has anyone used a 20D yet with R lenses?  How is the viewfinder?  Is the
> viewfinder bright enough for manual focussing?
> How is the shutter lag?
> What are the advantages and downsides of this approach?<<<<

Hi Ken,
I think I'm the newbie with this topic given my 20D and 8-22 (16-35)zoom
lens fell into my hands three days ago. Let's put it this way... I've broken
all the "digital techie rules" and the camera is still functioning and
recording nice things. Well they look interesting! ;-) And yes I've deleted
a pile, like 95% of them. :-)

Even so it's appearing to be a piece of cake to operate with results a
mother would love! ;-) Minor note... it would be nice to have a larger
viewfinder, however not a big deal. And after using the Digilux for the past
8 months with the big viewing screen it would be nice to have that size on
the 20D.

However, the two above comments are not an impediment to camera use. It
fires frames like any 5 frames a second motor drive film camera. Along with
extremely fast autofocus.  And as far as manual focus hopefully I'll have an
adapter for my Leica glass in a week or so. Then I can answer that. Although
I see Nathan has answered the question for you.

The shutter lag? Well it fires 5 frames a second so it doesn't appear
there's much of a lag time. I'm shooting a basketball game Monday evening
all 20D so we'll have wild live action to find out if there's any lagtime.
:-)

Even though it's an extremely short time with the camera, at the moment I
feel it's a keeper, no question! Sandy Carter purchased one early October
and has used it to shoot several assignments and the results are excellent.
It seems anyone I've spoken to using the 20D they had nothing but praise for
operation and swiftness of operation.

ted