Subject: [Leica] Tale of the elusive 35/1.4 non ASPH......
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Thu Dec 2 08:11:37 2004

Frank,

Unless you have a special magic one, that lens is also the king of
flare and glare. If you have any bright light sources anywhere near
your frame, glare will bleed into your picture and degrade the image
in the center of the field. Your lovely 35 Lux ASPH will do none of this
and also has a lovely fingerprint compared to the 35/f2 ASPH.

My main lenses are 28 ASPH and 35/f2 ASPH (which I use on a
.58 MP). Really love the look of the pictures with the Lux ASPH, but
just can't deal with TWO lenses which block so much of the v/f! :-)

I also own a 35/f2 Type II which is compact and has nice colors and
not much flare, but it lacks contrast compared to the modern glass
and also isn't that sharp in the field which is obvious with serious
enlargement or with slides. A friend of mine in France who has
tried using your new lens has had some great shots ruined by
glare and flare when bright light was near the frame. He is a master
of "in situ" portraits and ought to have used his 28 ASPH which is
REALLY almost immune to these problems. Just be careful...

Given the quality and clarity of modern 400 & 800 ISO films,
are you really sure you need f1.4 on a wide angle?

William

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Tale of the elusive 35/1.4 non ASPH......)