Subject: [Leica] A Leica with IS, Focus confirmation and 16 Mpix ...
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Sun Dec 5 13:01:54 2004

Just before the birds started up this morning I was dreaming.  The
Digital Module R came out next April with an image stabilising
capability, focus confirmation and 16 Mpix.  Then, only partly awake, I
quickly negotiated with my demons that I'd be happy with just the
latter, enough megapixels to justify another outrageous expense on a
system that is increasingly a testament to my stubborn faith that these
lenses are worth it.  Now, mostly awake, I'll be relieved to have any
DMR in my hands anytime next year.

I was shooting a pair of yellow robins most of the weekend, as they
nested for the second time.  Persistent rains after drought and
bushfires have prompted a stunning display of nature recovering.  I was
using all my techniques to counter vibration with slow shutter speeds
as the sun was repeatedly stolen away by thunderclouds, trying to get
the shot of the male bringing yummy grubs to the female, lying on the
eggs.  How good would it be to see that in the frames that I shot, some
in bursts, I have the one I'm looking for?  These days I'm reasonably
confident about exposure, composition and perhaps flash balance, where
used.  But I have to wait for the processing to confirm that I got the
focus right, on the eye of the male as he's offering up the goodies.

Reviewing shots will be an interesting pastime while waiting for nature
and will also be a form of focus confirmation.  That's one down.  Image
stabilising is well off for Leica I feel so I'll put that away for
future dreams.  And so the question becomes, will the DMR have enough
pixels to convince me to stop my demons from laughing at me as I hand
over my credit card?

Replies: Reply from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] A Leica with IS, Focus confirmation and 16 Mpix ...)