Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Dec 8 18:53:10 2004

What's to wonder, Emanuel. Like it or not, the world of photography and
photographic equipment has changed. While everything was film based, and
still primarily manually oriented, it was fine for Leica to talk about
ancient arts, superior build quality, and then Zen of minimalism. But as
autofocus cameras -with full manual function - came to dominate the
photojournalism world in which Leica used to be a real player, Solms
fell further and further behind. And now, like it or not, film and film
cameras are becoming anachronisms. Call it what ever you want to, but
digital is here, and it is dominating photography, and sooner rather
than later it will take over photography entirely. A company that is
"delightfully primitive" simply will not survive in the 21st century, as
much as some would wish it to.

As to the delays having to do with Solms wanting the digital back to be
really, really good...The problem is that the longer it's delayed, the
more true believers like Ted are likely to throw up their hands in
frustration and go buy an excellent digital SLR for less than a third
the cost of the back, and the more likely it is that the back will be
further and further behind in the mgp race by the time it finally
appears. To say nothing of the pricing and the steep decline of the
dollar against the Euro.