Subject: [Leica] OT: Kodak shuts Canadian plant
From: mcintyre at ca.inter.net (mcintyre@ca.inter.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 13:07:57 2004

BD

I work in the commercial printing industy. 25 years ago, it was all paste up
from galleys,
rubylith
overlays, art boards, stripped in PMT halftones. Film was shot on a graphic
arts camera,
and plates
were made photographically from the stripped film.

Then imagesetters started to make inroads, and wide format film (40"),
hi-resolution,
punch registering,
accurate screens came in. The guys who used to run the cameras and do the
manual film
assembly
took courses in imposition software, quark, photoshop etc. They took their
industry trade
skills, like
how a press signature works, how books are assembled, how ink behaves on a
press, and
reapplied
them by learning new tools.

Now virtually everything we print uses direct-to-plate technology. The same
guys (and
gals) who used
to run the image setters now run the plate setters.

Your daughter's appreciation of tonal range, image quality, esthetics and so
forth are her
advantage.
Whether she knows how to balance a print using Selectol soft and normal
Selectol is only
an application
of that knowledge. She should find a mac, photoshop, some books and see
what's there. A
good print
still requires someone who recognizes the difference, and knows when to
adjust the
exposure
(traditional) or a histogram (digital). When the print industry was changing
over, there
were a lot of
challenges and technical problems. But the tide continued, and the
underlying pressure to
make it work
eventually did make it work.

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] OT: Kodak shuts Canadian plant)