Subject: [Leica] New camera and lens combo
From: neal at nairobisafari.com (Neal Friedenthal)
Date: Tue Dec 21 15:16:17 2004

I recently got a CV R3a body and in the same week a Jupiter 3 50mm f1.5, so
naturally they got put together to test.  I have been well pleased with the
results from Soviet lenses in the past and have
had a Jupiter 3 in Contax/Kiev mount so I wanted to see what one would do on
a Leica.  I wanted the R3a as an auto exposure back-up for my M7. The
attaches shots were shot on 200asa fuji
negative film, both at f1.5.  The first, of Linda, was at 1/30; the second,
of "little" Rob, was at 1/60. Contrast is about as it appears on the neg, a
little color correction for the artificial light.  I'm still
impressed with the Soviet glass, especially considering its $100 price tag
with shipping from Moscow, it may not be Leica glass but it compares very
favorably with the CV 50mm 1.5 Nokton and is a lot
more compact, (about the size of a 50 f2 Summicron).

http://www.photoneal.com/photos/photos_04/tn/lindaP1.jpg.html

http://www.photoneal.com/photos/photos_04/tn/lrob1.jpg.html

Comments?

Neal F