Subject: [Leica] This is a photograph of a dog
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed Dec 22 00:40:40 2004

This is a touching story, and I'm sure Midge is a great dog.  I too have
known several friendly and affectionate pit bulls.  But there is another
side to this.

My dog Harpo was almost killed by a pit bull several years ago, in a
completely unprovoked attack.  We were walking on a trail in a shoreside
state park in northwest Washington (Deception Pass, for those of you who
know the area).  We rounded a bend, and a couple of hundred yards away, we
saw a young couple playing "fetch" on the beach with what appeared from
that distance to be a small dog.

I turned to say a few words to my wife, and when I turned back, the "small
dog" was almost upon us.  It turned out to be a male pit bull, probably
about a year old.  He chased Harpo around several times, with us screaming,
"no, no."  I know better than to directly challenge a dog under those
circumstances, but I began frantically pulling my jacket off, hoping to
throw it over his head to distract him.

I wasn't quick enough.  The pit bull caught Harpo with his paws and dew
claws, pulled him down like a deer, and took Harpo's neck in his mouth.  He
was about to bite down hard when the owner reached us.  He literally threw
himself on top of the pit bull, pounded on the dog's chest full force with
both fists, and yelled "NO!"  The pit bull stopped, thank God.   Another
second or two and Harpo would have been dead.

The guy was apologetic and a bit scared of what might have happened. Then
his girlfriend started yelling at us that it was *our* fault because our
dog was not on leash. . .  (neither was theirs, and mine stayed by me).  It
was the closest I've ever seen my wife come to violence.

Pit bulls were designed to be killing machines.  They are capable of a jaw
pressure much greater than any other dog, their aggression is very easily
aroused, and many (most?) people who breed and own them do so for
"protection" or machismo.  It takes extraordinary training and
socialization to make a reliable dog.  The people who want pit bulls are
usually the last people that *should* have them, because they tend to
encourage the very thing that makes the dogs so dangerous.  All it takes is
one mistake for someone to get killed.  Remember the case of the female
athlete in San Francisco, killed by her neighbor's pit bull?

I'm sorry if I'm being a doggie racist here.  But pit bulls are the result
of artificial selection of a particularly pernicious kind, and they are
more dangerous than other dogs by an order of magnitude.  Add to this the
fact that nasty people have nasty dogs, and you have a recipe for disaster.

--Peter

At 09:37 PM 12/21/04 -0800, "Christopher Williams"
<leicachris@worldnet.att.net>

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re: This is a photograph of a dog)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] This is a photograph of a dog)
Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] This is a photograph of a dog)