Subject: [Leica] New Zeiss lenses compared against Leica
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Wed Dec 22 13:48:45 2004

First of all, I believe Zeiss only announced "slow" lens, 50@2, 28@2.8 etc.
I am sure the Zeiss would perform as well as the Leica of similar apertured
(ooo, verbing noun) lens. The question to me is more like the sizes and the
contrast vs. resolution issue.

Sizes: if you look at the current ASPH Leica design, they are truly
amazingly small. The 50/1.4ASPH performs well across all aperture, and it's
not a honking piece of monster like the F1 lens. Ditto with the 35/1.4ASPH
and 28/2. The only largish lens is the 90/2AA. By all accounts, the new ZI
lens are not particularly compact. May not be a big problem but it could be
a factor.

Now I am not enough of a lens head to know for sure, but weren't one of the
old arguments is that the old Leica lens have smoother transition to OOF,
e.g. so things look more 3D, whereas the old Zeiss are sharp and have a
quick cutoff sort of the cardboard cutout look? I don't own Zeiss, but I
can see that 3D look from my Leicas. The question is does this analysis
still applies, IF it ever applies before.

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Message from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] New Zeiss lenses compared against Leica)
Message from enitka1 at comcast.net (ernie nitka) ([Leica] New Zeiss lenses compared against Leica)