Subject: [Leica] Christmas Tree Adjustments
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Wed Dec 22 13:53:00 2004

Ted - Many thanks for your comments.  I was fascinated by these very
large ornaments hanging in the bare branches of this decidedly
un-Christmas tree and spent a couple of half hours on two days
shooting it from different angles and in different light.

I'm clearly going to have to add another mental reminder to my
rapidly developing list of things to think about when shooting a
subject that excites me, as this tree did:  "Shoot 100 pictures, not
10," might be one way to say it, along with the corollary:  "There's
always another angle to shoot from."  Maybe I could have gotten under
the tree, too.

I was starting to explore one route that made the balls look a bit
like a flight of hot air balloons, but had to rush to work and didn't
get back to it.   The balls unfortunately all looked lost in the
tangle of branches in the pictures I did take (here's an example:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/Christmas-and-First-Snow/PC140011>)
so I didn't post any of them.

I'll try to go back in the next few days to see if I can do anything
more with the tree.  This time I'll try to get there when the
property owner is around to see if I can get "up close and personal"
with the ornaments instead of having to shoot from the street.  The
90mm limit on the Digilux 2 won't be a limiting factor that way -
though as I've all ready learned, I'm not going to get very close
with that lens.

I am trying to overcome about 50 years of shooting without feedback
and comments such as those Ted and others have been kind enough to
give me is enormously appreciated.  It became obvious at the Hyannis
meeting that I had developed an unthinking list of visual rules
("Always shoot for symmetry," was one of them) that I needed to
become aware of and learn to overcome.

I am delighted by Aaron Sandler's suggestion that we all make a
resolution to comment on pictures that we are not particularly moved
by.   I will try to do the same, though, I suspect I'm still running
around with a very adolescent eye.

It's why I'm here.  Let's talk.

Many thanks.