Subject: [Leica] Christmas Tree Adjustments
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Dec 23 06:55:37 2004

Richard showed and said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Christmas Tree Adjustments

> I was starting to explore one route that made the balls look a bit like a
> flight of hot air balloons, but had to rush to work and didn't get back to
> it.   The balls unfortunately all looked lost in the tangle of branches in
> the pictures I did take (here's an example:
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/Christmas-and-First-Snow/PC140011>) so I
> didn't post any of them.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Richard,
I would be hard pressed to shoot this scene while it's a sunny day as
we see in the above picture. Unless I could  get right in close with the 90
or any other lens and work tighter and wider aperture. It's such a jumble of
branches and tree limbs it's almost a disaster of confusion and distraction!

Sure there are some "coloured balls" hanging in the tree, so?

It works as an "establishing shot" then one goes from there to make the
"neat photos." That's when you shoot until your heart and imagination is
content with what you've done. One thing I'm learning with digital is that
sometimes shooting and looking breaks the "picture taking concentration"
and mood due to stopping and looking at the screen.

I've switched to shooting film style, just shoot away and once in a while I
have a peek to see what it looks like. ( usually out of fascination that I
can do it!) ;-) However, even that breaks a shoot concentration when you're
pedal to the metal on a roll of things happening.

It was the overcast  light and snow of the first day when the magic was
there. As I said earlier it was a location to have worked too death for
every possible angle. And even though you were working with a Digilux there
were many that could've been taken if you had the time and no concern for
land ownership.

However, I do understand your reluctance to go on the property these days as
heaven knows how the owner might have re-acted to your intrusion on his
"space?" :-( A snow terrorist or stealing his balls!

And where I see others trying to "make it better with PS?" Sorry folks save
your time! And as much as your efforts are much appreciated, it truly is
like  trying to make "a diamond mine out of a gravel pit!"

Actually what you have here is what I've heard so often about
Photoshop.... "It's a wonderful tool in making a magical photo even
better"........ when it's there in the first place!
However, it can't make a so-so picture a silk purse if it's not there
in the first place. Or words to that effect.

This is such a wonderful location under the right conditions as we saw
in the first exposures, it cries out to have another go at it on the first
sign of overcast and snow falling. I'd be back there in a heart beat.

>>> "There's always another angle to shoot from."  <<<<

Always mon ami, always. :-)

If you work in the following fashion it does wonders...

"Shoot the obvious! Then go from there at every angle that twitches
your imaginations heart!"

Sorry a bit long, but I trust some helpful.
ted

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Christmas Tree Adjustments)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Christmas Tree Adjustments)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Christmas Tree Adjustments)