Subject: [Leica] Nollaig shonasach agus athbhliain shuaimhneach.
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Dec 23 13:19:25 2004

At 04:45 PM 12/23/04 +0000, Alex Hurst wrote:
>Which being translated from the Gaelic means:
>
>Wishing you peace and happiness for Christmas and the New Year.
>
>Useful things, bi-lingual Christmas cards.......

Or as those of us bred to the fifth dialect of the Gaelic would say,

Nollaig chridheil agus bliadhna mhath ?r.

(Historically, Ireland was divided into four provinces, Ulster, Munster,
Connaught, and Leinster.  Leinster is the eastern and south-eastern area of
Ireland.  This was the area of greatest British penetration -- have you
heard the phrase, "beyond the Pale"?  The Pale was a physical line within
which it was illegal to speak the Gaelic, my dears.  As a result, the
Leinster dialect was extinct by 1600.  Thus, Scots Gaelic seems distinct
from the Irish but it really is just a fifth dialect of the auld tongue,
with a missing conjunctive tongue eliminated through the harshness of Saxon
hearts.  Alba 'gus Erin Gu Brath!)

Beannachd leibh,

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315