Subject: [Leica] Nollaig shonasach agus athbhliain shuaimhneach.
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Thu Dec 23 13:47:09 2004

Marc and I writ:

>  >Which being translated from the Gaelic means:
>>
>>Wishing you peace and happiness for Christmas and the New Year.
>>
>>Useful things, bi-lingual Christmas cards.......
>

>Or as those of us bred to the fifth dialect of the Gaelic would say,
>
>Nollaig chridheil agus bliadhna mhath ?r.

(Translation would have been useful - or can you
recommend a Zeiss Xmas card.... :-)

>(Historically, Ireland was divided into four provinces, Ulster, Munster,
>Connaught, and Leinster.

Yep - it still is. They have great competitive
Rugby teams (look up "Rugby Union Ireland -
Heineken Cup" on Google. My own team, Munster,
are the ones to watch.

>  Leinster is the eastern and south-eastern area of
>Ireland.  This was the area of greatest British penetration -- have you
>heard the phrase, "beyond the Pale"?

True - but from what I hear today, and speaking
as a Brit in Ireland, we're very common people.

>   The Pale was a physical line within
>which it was illegal to speak the Gaelic, my dears.  As a result, the
>Leinster dialect was extinct by 1600.

Hour and minute please.

>  Thus, Scots Gaelic seems distinct
>from the Irish but it really is just a fifth dialect of the auld tongue,
>with a missing conjunctive tongue eliminated through the harshness of Saxon
>hearts.

Eh? My surname is Saxon. My intellect is too
restricted to surmise what happened to the MCT.
And do explain, please, what tongue I'm missing

>   Alba 'gus Erin Gu Brath!)
>
>Beannachd leibh,

Translation would be nice......

Marc - this probably isn't of much interest to
the group. If you want to have a further chat,
email me privately.

Best
Alex Hurst (it's a small wood in Saxon).
--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019

Replies: Reply from rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure) ([Leica] Nollaig shonasach agus athbhliain shuaimhneach.)
Message from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Nollaig shonasach agus athbhliain shuaimhneach.)