Subject: [Leica] OT P/S digital for trip to Indonesia
From: woc2 at earthlink.net (Bill O'Connell)
Date: Sun Dec 26 20:45:00 2004

I have the Stylus 410, got it because it was water resistant. It is a 4mp
and was a quick upgrade from the 400 - not sure what improvements were made
other then the ability to record sound. Ok for snapshots but I don't think
it lives up to the film Stylus cameras.  The 5mp has been announced and is
due out soon.  Optical zoom is 35=70 range, ok but nothing great.  Will fit
in a shirt pocket which is nice.  Find that the flash is very underpowered.
The battery is designed for the Stylus line so at least one spare would be
in order. Uses XD cards which tend to be a bit more expensive - sort of like
Sony cards. My Olympus 5050 is a much better camera, a little bigger, better
optics, uses AA batteries.  Looked at the Pentax version, it is more
waterproof then the Stylus but again, more of a snapshot camera, but then,
that's what you asked for.
She might consider one of the Panasonic/Leica models with a much longer
reach, but not water resistant.  And of course bigger.
Then to keep on Leica topic, the Digilux, 28-90 lens, manual zoom, allows
manual focus, costs about 4 times what the others do :->
Getting back to PHD cameras, another to consider is the Konica Minolta G600,
6mp and fits in a shirt pocket like the Stylus, have about a dozen friends
with them and they are all happy with them, nice price point at about 325
last time I looked.
Course there are a few thousand others that fit the bill too :->
Bill