Subject: [Leica] Sontag and Benjamin
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 16:36:40 2004

>Pedantic, self-important, at times so far off-base she wasn't even on the
>field.
>And yet at times so brilliantly insightful one cannot escape reading her.
I'll miss Susan Sontag because she had the courage to change her mind in her
latest book about photography. She had a tendency of going to extremes,
following her own logic to the end of the line.
But that's OK, like taking the trolley to its final stop, not knowing where
that stop is. As she wrote she investigated the subject. And then, in time,
she
returned taking the opposite lane.

But she wasn't all that original when it came to critiquing media
dialectically. Walter Benjamin, who committed suicide on the French-Spanish
border just
before his group of refugees from the Nazis found refuge, wrote very deeply
about photography, asserting that it didn't have the 'aura' of an original
work
because it was related to 'mechanical reproduction.' I think Benjamin was
wrong, but he opened a way to think and write about photography from an
intellectual (Marxist) POV. A well-known French philosopher, whose name
escapes me now,
wrote a little book taking the opposite tack on photography, using a small
photo of his mother as a child to evoke her reality. On these long, cold
winter
months in the Northern Hemisphere reading Sontag and Benjamin makes for
enjoyable evenings. These books are in all the libraries. They can only
deepen us as
photographers.

Bob

Replies: Reply from despistado at cromosfera.com (jose usoz) ([Leica] Sontag and Benjamin)