Subject: [Leica] Bathes, Benjamin and Sontag
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 17:41:25 2004

In a message dated 12/28/04 5:20:52 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> I've learned a lot from reading her and Walter Benjamin though Barthes is
> beyond my ability to comprehend.

Yes, Barthes is the philosopher I had in mind. He uses that French style
which is offputting until you get used to it. He comes across as very
partial to
folk photography. A good counterweight to Sontag's first book -- not her
second
-- and Benjamin. We must remember that none of these authors were
photographers. They were consumers and interpreters of photography. It's
good to get
feedback from the public, particularly by good writers who have some
scholarly
credentials. At least they have the tendency to get the facts right.

I'll miss Sontag. She was earthy, knew how to use language, and set out the
issues of her times -- whether or not we disagree with her. 71 is about the
time that a good writer becomes ripe enough to really produce her best work.
I'd
say that's true of field photographers as well.

I hope some provocative writer a la Sontag doesn't come along and give
digital photography a black eye while it's grasping the bars of the playpen.
That's
all we need.

Bob