Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag
From: sandwell at earthlink.net (Howard Wells)
Date: Tue Dec 28 16:45:12 2004

Anti-intellectualism (especially combined with misogyny) is not uniquely
American, though we have a long history of it. Sontag very obviously was
not stupid whether we agree with all her ideas about photography or not.
I've learned a lot from reading her and Walter Benjamin though Barthes is
beyond my ability to comprehend.

It saddens me to see such anger directed at her and I mourn the loss of a
genuine and passionate thinker who was not afraid to change her mind.

Howard Wells