Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Dec 28 16:47:04 2004

At 03:15 PM 12/28/04 -0500, B D Colen wrote:
>ELowi just informed us of the death of S. Sontag, writing -
>"Love her or hate her, she died today at 71."
>
>Pedantic, self-important, at times so far off-base she wasn't even on the
field.
>And yet at times so brilliantly insightful one cannot escape reading her.
>
>I don't know that she will be missed. But she will be remembered.

BD

I understand your comments and appreciate your view.  Susan Sontag never
played a part in my life -- she was just another of those folks that the
media loved to praise.  I never found her writings of much worth and,
frankly, most of her essays are simply boring.  But, nil nisi bonum
mortuis, and she does deserve her place in the intellectual pantheon of US
culture, such as it is.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!