Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag and Emanuel Lowi
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Wed Dec 29 08:49:53 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 7:07 AM, B D Colen wrote:

> Emanuel Lowi oh so predictably wrote...
> "It's amazingly predictable how the bullies will all
> rush to beat up on one New York Jew old lady
> intellectual. I trust you are pleased with yourselves.
>
> Emanuel "

I think you are getting a little carried away, Emanuel.
None of us here are poking fun at her having passed away or is saying
good riddance.
As much as some of us may disagree with her writings, none of us is
gloating about her passing. And certainly no one here is being critical
of her, because she was an old Jewish lady from New York. That is a
fairly ridiculous statement. I read some of her work and didn't
agree with her, found her rather annoying and it wouldn't make a
difference if she was an Eskimo, Italian or a space alien. Sontag chose
to live a public life as an intellectual and this type of discussion is
hardly shocking or unique. It comes with the territory. If you think
this discussion is bad, crude or insulting you should have the
opportunity to see how people like her and her colleagues attack each
other. And as far as I remember the last discussion we had about her a
few years ago, when she was still alive, was a lot worse.

And as far as the gum remark goes, yes that was rather over the top and
my apologies to
Susan where ever she is. But I still don't agree with her.

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                    2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com