Subject: [Leica] PAW
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Dec 31 10:39:42 2004

Well...The only problem with that assessment,
Ted-from-whom-I-have-learned-and-will-continue-to-learn-countless
things, is that in many, if not most, of the world's great photo
portraits, the subject is looking right smack into the lens. For that
matter, in zillions of great street photos, the subject is engaged with
the photographer. Somewhere along the line someone came up with the idea
that an informal portrait, or street photo, should be a "stealth shot."
(And I am NOT suggesting, btw, that the photo I posted was 'great' in
any way, shape or form...only responding to the criticism that the
subject was looking at me. ;-) Also, btw, having looked at the print
with a loupe, whoever it was who observed that the woman was out of
focus and the brick wall behind her was in focus - is incorrect. Her
left eye and mouth are dead-on in focus - slight blur from subject
movement, however. And the brick wall is soft and out-of-focus.)

B. D.